Sally Dress Modification

20140724-213235-77555209.jpg
I’ve had this pattern for a while and finally decided to use it this week, spurred on by the current heat wave, to create a light and airy summer dress for Little Boo.

20140724-213447-77687483.jpg
The fabric is this lovely seersucker elephant print, bought from the fantastic Miss Matatabi. Seersucker always makes me think of my own childhood, and sunshine, and ice lollies….. The elephants aren’t huge so from a distance on a running (or scooting!) child it looks summery, pale, chic- then when you get closer the fun element becomes clear.

20140724-213852-77932848.jpg
Boo wore this for an early morning scoot with some fresh lime leggings….

20140724-214005-78005418.jpg
… then whipped them off when the sun came out in full force – ta da!

20140724-214108-78068009.jpg
As the post title suggests, I did make a few changes on this dress. The most glaring is probably the omitted pockets (a major feature of the Sally dress normally). I decided not to add them as Boo still wears her modified cow geranium dress I made last summer with its huge pockets, and I was in a rush to get this done! My version only took a couple of hours to make which is quick for me. I also straightened the outside line of the shoulder straps to make them a bit slimmer. Finally, I made this in between size 4 and 5 ( I just wasn’t sure it would fit over Boo’s big head!), but it does slip down (but not off) her shoulder a little, so I would make a 4 next time. The pattern must be a little more generous than the geranium.
I have to say I absolutely love this pattern now I have finally used it- the lack of closings makes it a really quick sew, and the lines are really simple. I’m already planning my next creation…

Advertisements

A Spring Top for Me

image

Something sewn for myself? Wow! That doesn’t happen very often.  To be honest I get more of a kick out of making something for someone else, particularly children because things always look good on them.  But when I spotted the spring top sew along over at Made By Rae I decided this was my opportunity to make something in an adult size, and here it is.

image

My elephant top (hope I don’t look like an elephant in it!). You might recognise the material from my wide mouth pouch post. I know it’s rather a young (!) fabric, but I wanted a fun top to throw on with jeans, and this works really well with my red converse, which link up with the red binding.

image

I took inspiration from a top I already owned and created my own pattern by tracing around it. It has French seams and big bright red zip which really stands out against the navy.  The original was made out of lighter material, and I my version looks a bit more boxy, but I think it works ok.  I need to find a UK seller with a good range of silky or voile fabrics, if anyone wants to recommend one.  Maybe then I’ll try this pattern out again.

You can find a whole host of spring tops made by like minded sewers on the spring top sew along flickr pool here.  Happy browsing!