Sally Dress Modification

20140724-213235-77555209.jpg
I’ve had this pattern for a while and finally decided to use it this week, spurred on by the current heat wave, to create a light and airy summer dress for Little Boo.

20140724-213447-77687483.jpg
The fabric is this lovely seersucker elephant print, bought from the fantastic Miss Matatabi. Seersucker always makes me think of my own childhood, and sunshine, and ice lollies….. The elephants aren’t huge so from a distance on a running (or scooting!) child it looks summery, pale, chic- then when you get closer the fun element becomes clear.

20140724-213852-77932848.jpg
Boo wore this for an early morning scoot with some fresh lime leggings….

20140724-214005-78005418.jpg
… then whipped them off when the sun came out in full force – ta da!

20140724-214108-78068009.jpg
As the post title suggests, I did make a few changes on this dress. The most glaring is probably the omitted pockets (a major feature of the Sally dress normally). I decided not to add them as Boo still wears her modified cow geranium dress I made last summer with its huge pockets, and I was in a rush to get this done! My version only took a couple of hours to make which is quick for me. I also straightened the outside line of the shoulder straps to make them a bit slimmer. Finally, I made this in between size 4 and 5 ( I just wasn’t sure it would fit over Boo’s big head!), but it does slip down (but not off) her shoulder a little, so I would make a 4 next time. The pattern must be a little more generous than the geranium.
I have to say I absolutely love this pattern now I have finally used it- the lack of closings makes it a really quick sew, and the lines are really simple. I’m already planning my next creation…

Advertisements